Suicidal ideation/attempt in Child and Adolescent transgender group: Nationally Representative Insights from 10 years of data

Zeeshan Mansuri, MD, MPH

Boston Children’s Hospital – Fellow
Mansuri Zeeshan poster

Scientific Abstract

Background:

Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBTQ) youth and children are at increased risk for suicide. However, there there are no national statistics about completed suicide for suicide rates among the LGBTQ youth. Therefore, the rate of suicidal ideation and attempts among LGBTQ population are not available. This study investigates the prevalence of suicidal behavior and risk among LGBTQ people in a United States nationally representative sample. 

Methods: 

Data were collected from National Inpatient Sample (NIS) for the year 2005-2015. We ran the ICD-9 code to obtain our study cohort of adolescent patients with transgender diagnosis and compared these patients with non-transgender adolescents. To reduce the baseline characteristics imbalance, we performed 1:4 nearest neighbor propensity score matching with a caliper width of 0.0001 from a random order. In the propensity score matching, age, year of hospitalization, mood disorder, anxiety disorder, race, illness severity, and region of the hospital were included.

Results:

After the propensity score match, 144 patients were included in transgender and 566 patients in the non-transgender group. The mean age was 15.1 years, and 59% were white. The prevalence of mood and anxiety disorders was 83% and 34%, respectively. Personality disorders were more frequent in the transgender population (10% vs 4%, p<0.001), and ADHD was more common in non-transgender patients. (38% vs. 20%, p <0.001). There was no difference between the groups in substance use disorder, schizophrenia, and other psychotic conditions. Prevalence of suicidal ideation (38% vs. 25%, p<0.001), and suicidal attempt (17% vs 5%, p<0.001) was more in transgender group. The odds ratio for the composite of outcome of suicidal ideation/attempt was 2.91 (95% CI 2.00-4.23, p<0.001). More patients in the transgender group were discharged to other healthcare facilities (17% vs 12%, p <0.001).

Conclusions:

The prevalence of suicidal ideation/attempt is significantly high in the transgender group. Also, more patients were discharged to other healthcare facilities. There should be more suicide awareness campaigns for this vulnerable population.

 

Live Zoom Session – March 9th

research Areas

Authors

Zeeshan Mansuri, MD, MPH

Principal Investigator

Zeeshan Mansuri, MD, MPH